Located in Toronto, ON and originally built for the Toronto Roadrunners, the Ricoh Coliseum is the home arena of the Toronto Marlies. It was opened December 16, 1921 under the name Civic Arena. It was built in connection with the Canadian National Exhibition. In the early 1940’s it was used by the Canadian Army during World War II as a training base. In the 1960’s it became the National Trade Centre until construction began in 2003.
2003 brought a whole revamp that saw a new and higher roof built which allowed more seating. Since then the Ricoh Coliseum has been used as a professional hockey arena. With poor attendance and an imposing NHL lock-up, the Toronto Roadrunners were relocated to Edmonton leaving the rink vacant for a year until the St. John’s Maple Leafs were moved to Toronto. Debuting in front of 8,056 fans, the Marlies play to a 5-2 victory over the Syracuse Crunch.
With a capacity of 8,140 and located on 100 Princes’ Blvd, the arena is owned by the City of Toronto and operated by Maple Leafs Sports & Entertainment Ltd.